Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Taste of Honey - watch that BASS hand...

R&B/Disco band "A Taste of Honey" (1971-82) from Los Angeles were Janice Marie Johnson (bass) and Hazel Payne (guitar), as well as Perry Kibble (keys) and Donald Johnson (drums). As any bassist knows, its not so easy to sing and play at the same time - especially over disco rhythms and riffs.

I saw this on VH1 Classics about 15 years ago and have been searching for a video of it ever since. Her bass hand and style really blew me away. I remember sitting on a couch at a friend's apartment on Bowery and seeing this, both of us saying "whoa" at the same time. And I never forgot it after all these years. Thanks to the internet, I was able to find out that it was "A Taste of Honey" and here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment